Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving




I guess this is the holiday we are supposed to be thankful. Sometimes it's hard to know what we are really thankful for. Of course there are the old stand by's like life and love, family and god etc etc but what are you really thankful for. Life just happened and you have no control over it and same goes for family. God, well even if you believe your not 100% sure, and how cliche, it's not like you just won an academy award or the NBA championship so... Material possessions is a tad materialistic and shallow. I'm sure your thankful for your new car or brand new LCD screen but using these types of belongings to remind you of your thankfulness on a day like today is ridiculous.
The only thing that I keep coming back to are friends. Friends are the people in your life who don't really have to be there at all. Friends have no obligation to be by your side through thick and thin, to love you when at your best or worst. They can walk away and never look back, trust me I know. Nobody wants to be alone, especially on a holiday geared so much towards family but Thanksgiving with the family can become old hat. Thanksgiving with friends is when you share a real part of your heart, a true sharing of your soul created by the harmony of working together for something beautiful to be remembered for the rest of your life. A time capsule memory of when times were good and friends were family.
I used to have a lot of friends, maybe even too many for my own good. I didn't know how to juggle them all. I have been a good friend and a horrible friend at times but I must say, good or bad my heart was always in the right place. I am thankful for everyone I have been friends with, whether I still am friends with them today or not. It's only outside of my safety net, the bubble of family that I broke through to become the man I am today, because of friends, because of connections, inspiration and love. I have always wanted to be good to people I love, be honest and strong. There is no way I have always been these things but I will always try to be, if I have 1 friend or 500 I will always do my best to treat them the way I would want to be treated. So that is my pledge for the future, based on my overwhelming thankfulness, on this day of Thanksgiving, to friends far and wide, old and new, realized and forgotten, thank you. I hope we can mend and love yet again, from now till forever. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment